So I made these recently and posted a pic that seemed to create a bit of interest; after all who doesn’t like a piece of lemon cake! My all time favourite is probably lemon drizzle cake and I fancied doing something along these lines so I came across a recipe for lemon squares and decided to give these a go!
(there are two components to this recipe; a crumb base and a lemon filling)
(Taken from allrecipes.com ) *Don’t be put off by the cup measurements just use same size small cup when measuring
2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
1 cup confectioners’ sugar
1 cup butter, melted
2 cups white sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
5/8 cup lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 9×13 inch pan.
- In a medium bowl, stir together 2 cups flour and confectioners’ sugar. Blend in the melted butter. Press into the bottom of the prepared pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes, or until golden.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs until light. Combine the sugar, baking powder and 1/4 cup of flour so there will be no flour lumps. Stir the sugar mixture into the eggs. Finally, stir in the lemon juice.
- Pour over the prepared crust and return to the oven.
Bake for an additional 30 minutes or until bars are set. Allow to cool completely before cutting into bars/ squares.
Personally I loved the combination of the crusty base and the soft filling. Just be careful and ensure the filling is cooked thoroughly!
I really enjoyed these and they were down perfectly with a cup of tea!